Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL MM/MC Phono Pre-amplifier
The MX-VYNL is a fully balanced, very high performance phono stage, able to operate with virtually any moving coil or moving magnet cartridge. With both traditional RCA inputs and our unique XLR fully balanced connection the MX-VYNL can be connected to 2 turntables simultaneously.
The MX-VNYL offers a wide range of input impedance settings for moving coil cartridges as well as several capacitance settings for moving magnet units. Unlike many of our competitors units the MX-VYNL allows easy adjustment of these settings while playing. This allows easy experimentation and tuning to find the optimum setting for all your equipment.
The MX-VYNL also includes our renowned RIAA correction that offers extremely accurate results to beyond 80kHz. That may sound extreme, but there is a good deal of information above 20 kHz that needs correction. If it isn’t corrected, it will show itself as ringing and overshoot.
With both extraordinarily low noise and exceptional overload margin the MX-VYNL can comfortably handle even the most demanding of cartridges and satisfy the most discerning of listeners.
Take it out of the packaging and you’ll find the MX-VYNL is beautifully made. It feels solid and features a smartly machined front panel with positive-feeling controls. As befits a product at this level, there is provision to alter cartridge loading to optimise performance. Rather than use a series of dipswitches, as many rivals do, Musical Fidelity has a rather elegant control dial to manage the switch between moving coil and moving magnet inputs and their different loading requirements. There’s also added flexibility in the form of a gain switch that increases sensitivity for lower output cartridges (of either type), should you need it. Take a look inside and you’ll find that this is a fully-balanced electronic design. On paper this promises low noise levels and improved dynamics.
It has a special musical presence the way it handles vocals, delivering voice with all the solidity, presence and emotion it deserves. There’s an appealing fluidity to the MX’s sound that makes most of the competition sound a little mechanical in comparison.The scale of the sound is impressive as is the way the Musical Fidelity responds to large dynamic shifts. There’s plenty of control and composure here and it’s not bought at the expense of excitement or enthusiasm.Tonally there’s suggestion of richness in the bass and a general sweetening of the presentation, but none of it is taken to excess and mostly it just makes the phono stage forgiving of harsh or aggressive recordings.
Phono stages are an easily overlooked link in the analogue hi-fi chain.They are usually either a hidden module inside an integrated or pre-amplifier, or a small, plain box tucked away on the hi-fi rack. But after the record player, we think this is arguably the next most critical component in the signal path.
The MX-VYNL is superbly made, nice to use and sounds lovely. Provided the rest of your system is up to scratch, this is one you can buy with confidence. Musical Fidelity’s MX-VYNL is as detailed, refined and articulate a phono stage as we’ve heard at this price. It doesn’t more than a few seconds to recognise that this phono stage is a terrific performer.
MX-VYNL in brief
- Fully balanced XLR and traditional RCA inputs
- Fully balanced XLR and traditional RCA outputs
- Fully isolated inputs allow for switching between two turntables at once
- Adjustable input impedance on MC whilst it is playing
- Adjustable capacitance on MM whilst it is playing
- Very wide overload margin
- Accurate RIAA to beyond 80kHz
- Incredible noise ratio
- Low impedance output
- State of the art SMD technology
- Beautiful aesthetics and build quality
MX-VYNL - Specifications
- 4 Volts RMS single ended from RCA sockets
- 8 Volts RMS balanced from XLR sockets
- Frequency response: RIAA ±0.1dB IEC ±0.1dB
- Channel separation: < -86dB
- SNR A-wtd: < -101dB
- THD: < 0.007%
- XLR input: 5mV / 2.5mV selectable
- 70mV max (23dB headroom)
- Channel separation: < -83dB
- SNR A-wtd: < -98dB
- THD: < 0.01%
- XLR input: 0.8mV / 0.4mV selectable, 12mV max (24dB headroom)
- Balanced Mini-XLR
- RCA 1 pair RCA sockets
- Balanced XLR male sockets EIA Standard RS-297-A
- RCA 1 pair RCA sockets
- Connector: 1.3mm pin DC power jack
- Outboard power supply: 12V/500mA DC
- Mains voltages 100-240VAC 50-60Hz universal worldwide supply
- Consumption < 8 watts
- Weight (unpacked / packed): 1.9Kg / 2.4 Kg